According to the latest High Fliers’ Graduate Market report, there has never been a better time to graduate. With more opportunities and higher salaries on offer, it really is a graduate market.
It’s been a turbulent time for graduates over the past 10 years. We saw the start of the recent recession in 2008, which meant graduates were coming into an unstable economic climate and consequently, there were a lack of opportunities in the UK. Moreover the tuition costs were raised in 2012, with Universities being able to charge up to £9,000 per year. The student cohort graduating this summer will in fact include some of the first students in history who have had to pay these higher fees.
However the latest research now reports that despite the recent hardship, it has never been a better time to be a graduate. The availability of graduate jobs is expected to surpass levels of pre-recession times, and even hit a 10 year high!
High Fliers Research is the leading, specialist market research company that has conducted comprehensive research into graduate recruitment in the last twenty years. Their latest study – The Graduate Market in 2015 – contains an independent assessment of the latest graduate vacancies and starting salaries in the ‘The Times top 100 employers’ in the UK, with research being carried out in December 2014.
High Fliers Research Facts
- Overall predicted 8.1% increase in graduate vacancies compared to last year
- 3rd consecutive year that graduate jobs has increased
- 4.9% increase vs. pre-recession peak in 2007 and 36.2% increase vs. low-point in graduate job market in 2009 during the economic crisis
- 9 of the 13 major industries are increasing their graduate intake this year
- Accounting, banking and finance are some of the industries that are expected to see the largest growth
- Starting salaries will increase for 2nd year running in 2015, reaching an average of £30,000
- 25% of employers have increased their recruitment budget for this latest year.
This research has brought a wave of optimism to the graduate world, with managing director of High Fliers Research stating students finishing this summer will enter a “buoyant graduate job market”. Universities Minister Greg Clark agrees, “Confidence in the economy continues to grow, and this is reflected in the fact that Britain’s top companies will recruit more graduates this year than they have for a decade.”
This research also contains a cautionary piece of advice from graduate employers. Nearly half of the recruiters who took part in the study emphasised the importance of previous work experience, as those without any are unlikely to stand out in the recruitment process.
So what can you do?
- Go to graduate fairs and meet employers. Read Jordan Turner’s advice on how to get the most out of these events in ‘Grad Fairs: How to make the most of a golden opportunity’
- Ensure your CV stands out and you know how to interview.
- Contact the Grovelands Graduate Recruitment (GGR) team to gain experience!
There really has never been a more prosperous time to apply for a graduate position, and we at Grovelands have just been acknowledged as one of the fastest growing recruitment consultancies in the UK! Click here to find out more.
So why not follow our Twitter account or even contact our brilliant team on 01273 651 500 to find out more about the exciting financial opportunities at GGR!